Monday, July 6, 2009

Dungeons and Dragons

Random throughts on writing and life: First, I thank God and the universe and the Virgen de Guadalupe for a good weekend in our business, a day spa. Just as the last effects of about twelve hours of beer and barebecue were wearing off, ten wedding guests booked post-wedding packages with us. Which meant I had to forego seeing Ice Age 2 (oh, pain, oh, suffering). Instead, I happily spent my Sunday serving up relaxation in the form of massages facials, hot oil hair treatments). My cheeriness came from relief at having clients after a hopelessly dismal May and June, during which business was murdered by pork flu hysteria (manufactured by the Mexican government, in my opinion) and Mexican drug wars, which happen to be occuring at the border and not here in lovely and peaceful San Miguel de Allende.

So I´m thinking of my YA novel, set in 1974. I picked the brain of my friend, Mary, who like me, was in high school in the seventies. She owns Libros El Tecolote, a superb independent book store, here in San Miguel.

Mary remembers Zots candy, smiley face buttons, James Taylor, Jethro Tull and Ozium, which covered the odor of pot. I remembered painter pants, Kool and the Gang and Dungeons and Dragons. Does anyone play that any more?

No comments:

Post a Comment